Thursday, September 04, 2008

Purple Dung

3826800 seconds to Bogus to Bubbly.

Dung or Feces or faeces or fæces. Whatever you like to call it, is a waste product given out by animals. Including us. Well, I had always thought that it was nothing special and perhaps a little gross. Brown or yellow in colour, hard or soft or squishy, I had seen it often enough to think nothing of it.

What about dung in purple colour? That caught my attention when I was about to flush the toilet bowl after doing my business. Not only the dung was in purple colour, the water surrounding the dung was in a deep purple colour as well. Of course, I don't have a picture of the purple dung to show you guys. I don't have that habit of bringing a camera into the toilet. It's unhygienic.

However, I do have a picture of what caused my dung to be in purple colour. That is, Pitaya.

Pitaya has tons of also known as names. I suppose even a spy wouldn't have that much. Would they? Besides knowing as Pitaya, it is also known as pitahaya, dragon fruit, huǒ lóng guǒ (火龍果/火龙果, "fire dragon fruit"), lóng zhū guǒ (龙珠果 "dragon pearl fruit"), strawberry pear, nanettikafruit, or thanh long. Told you that it is going to be a long list of names didn't I? I suppose that you would find one of the names familiar to you.

I had known that the purple coloured Dragon Fruit was not something to mess with if you do not want your expensive clothings to be ruin. It stains terribly, on tongues, clothes, hands, the list goes on. However, I didn't know that it tends to turn your dung into purple colour as well. I suppose now I know about this interesting fact.

In case you still don't know what Pitaya is, below is a picture of the purple coloured ones which I had taken.

Below: Hylocereus costaricensis or known as Costa Rica Pitaya. It is supposed to have red flesh but the colour looks like purple to me.


For more information about it, check out the always trusty Wikipedia here.

Oh, in case you are wondering, I did eventually flushed the toilet. =D

See ya!

No comments: